Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Sunday 20 June 2010

Returning from Retreat

I’m on the train travelling back from being up North. When I say up North I’m talking proper North, not what I used to consider North – Birmingham – but like, north of Newcastle! I’ve spent a week pretty much on the Scottish border in the middle of absolute nowhere. In fact, we were so far north that at 10:50pm it was still light, I kid you not – proper North!

Anyway, I was spending a week at the “Mother House” of the Northumbria Community. The Community is a network of hugely diverse people, from different backgrounds, streams and edges of the Christian faith that’s committed in its desire to express an ongoing exploration into a new way of living for Christ that offers hope in the changed and changing culture of today's world. They’re inspired by, draw from and live in the spiritual tradition of monasticism with an identity rooted in the history and spiritual heritage of Celtic Northumbria and, whilst a dispersed community, they have a base (Mother House), Nether Springs, which is where I stayed.

I was there for a “Leadership School” for church leaders and it was some of the best leadership input I’ve received. However, unlike other retreats and conferences I’ve attended the twelve of us on the programme were actually part of the Community, living and sharing life with them including the regular Offices (set times of prayer) and chores.

Richard Foster right at the start of his ground breaking book Celebration of Discipline says that "superficiality is the curse of our age". I remember quoting this when I first arrived at LBC and talking about the need there is to live deeply. We skim over the surface of life as we move at break-neck speed and just as it’s impossible to create anything of any real value (a painting, a meal, a relationship…) whilst at Mach 2 we can’t cultivate life in God whilst moving so fast. I’m really aware of this issue in my own life and hence, not only a 12 week sabbatical, but a five day incarceration in this monastic community. To submit to a rhythm of prayer, reading, reflection, rest, work and even a couple of pilgrimages was a gift and I know it’s been hugely helpful.

The trick, of course, will be maintaining a healthy, biblical and life giving rhythm on my return to normality. But the whole point of what I’ve been exposed to this week has been keeping attentive to God in the ordinary….saying the “Midday Office” in the time it takes for a kettle to boil, acknowledging the grace of God not simply before a meal but before enjoying any of God’s good gifts (TV, chess, watching a play, reading a newspaper, taking a bath), detecting grace in a bit of banter over washing up….that’s the real issue, noticing, trusting and enjoying God in the whole of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Always happy for you to post your comments - remembering of course that they'll be seen by everyone!!!