Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Saturday 20 February 2010

Walking in the Light

At MSG on Tuesday we were thinking about “walking in the light” (1 John 1:5-2:6) and how in doing so we expose our hearts. It’s quite a painful thing in many ways because as long as you’re in the “dark” you can kid yourself that things aren’t that bad. But, step into the light and you see that actually….

....the reason you didn’t help a neighbour out wasn’t that you “just didn’t have the time” (as you’d told yourself and them) but that you didn’t think of it as terribly advantageous to you…

....and the reason you got “delayed at the office” wasn’t that you really were so busy but that you couldn’t be bothered to help bath and settle the kids and so chose to walk through the front door just as your wife was coming down stairs….

Walking in the light of Christ shows us to be who and what we really are and then, and then we can repent, trusting in the work of Jesus for forgiveness, receiving grace and mercy, moving on knowing the strengthening work of the Spirit. All the time I walk in the dark I’m ignorant of my true situation and I miss His grace.

Anyway, we talked about this and other stuff for a while and then I shared a list I’d compiled, from a number of sources, of questions we can ask ourselves (or those who have given us permission) to help ensure we’re walking in the light. One of our number, quite understandably, made the point that reading the list was pretty depressing because, if we were honest, we were probably not doing very well on any of them.

On one level this person was right……if it were a list of things we “had to do” then absolutely let’s give up now! But on the other hand it could, I suggested, be viewed as a joyous thing that keeps us from deluding ourselves (and how badly do we need that!) These questions expose our hearts and if we aren’t where we should be we can respond accordingly, namely repent and receive grace. When we do this with others it’s even more of a transformative and life-giving thing.

Here’s the list we shared. May it help us walk in the light that we might have fellowship with Him.

Questions we can ask one another to help us walk in the Light:

1. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
2. Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?
3. Do I confidentially pass onto another what was told me in confidence?
4. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?
5. Am I self‐conscious, self‐pitying, or self‐justifying?
6. Did the Bible live in me today?
7. Do I give it time to speak to me every day?
8. Am I enjoying prayer?
9. When did I last speak to someone about my faith?
10. Do I pray about the money I spend?
11. Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
12. Do I disobey God in anything?
13. Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
14. Am I defeated in any part of my life?
15. Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy or distrustful?
16. How do I spend my spare time?
17. Am I proud?
18. Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisee who despised the publican?
19. Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I going to do about it?
20. Do I grumble and complain constantly?
21. Is Christ real to me?
22. Have you been a testimony this week to the greatness of Jesus Christ with both your words and actions?
23. Have you been exposed to sexually alluring material or allowed your mind to entertain inappropriate thoughts about someone who is not your spouse this week?
24. Have you lacked any integrity in your financial dealings this week, or coveted something that does not belong to you?
25. Have you been honoring, understanding and generous in your important relationships this past week?
26. Have you damaged another person by your words, either behind their back or face‐toface?
27. Have you given in to an addictive behavior this week? Explain.
28. Have you secretly wished for another's misfortune so that you might excel?
29. Have you been completely honest with me?

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! That is too close to the bone. Feels like a spotlight illuminating my hidden motives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.... we're all screwed then....

    ReplyDelete

Hi. Always happy for you to post your comments - remembering of course that they'll be seen by everyone!!!